What is ABS? How will an Innova scan tool help me?
What is ABS?
ABS stands for Anti-lock Braking System. ABS is an important safety feature for every vehicle as it helps slow down a vehicle when using the brakes. The purpose of ABS is to keep the driver safe by preventing the wheels from locking when you use the brakes. You're able to keep control over the steering, and your vehicle won't skid as a result of the wheels locking up.
A warning light will be on the dashboard if there are any problems with your vehicle's ABS. This light needs to be taken seriously because it's an early warning sign that your ABS needs to be inspected. Also, there are other brake system lights that will come on if there is an issue with the braking system (Traction Control/Skid/FWD). It lets you know that it's time to take your vehicle to a repair shop.
As with other systems, ABS can be considered as a central control unit with a series of inputs and outputs. An ABS is represented by the closed loop system block diagram shown below:
||Here is a video with the Innova 5610 being used to diagnose ABS issues. Other than the 5610 reading the ABS codes while providing code descriptions, the 5610 is used to monitor ABS live data while driving to see if the issue has been resolved.|
- Have a problem with your brakes? Read & erase ABS fault codes like a professional.
- Get verified fixes and recommendations for your ABS light.
- Can read ABS Live data to look at the wheel speed sensors.
- You notice an ABS light pop up on the dashboard.
- You plug in Innova scan tool to investigate why the ABS light came on.
- You either fix it yourself with the recommended fix provided by Innova or go to a mechanic.
- If you go to the mechanic, you can verify the costs by comparing it with the cost estimates provided by our free RS2 app.
- If you fixed it yourself, you can proceed to erase the ABS light.